Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Smokey Mustard Pork Steak with Mushrooms

As I have mentioned before, I'm not a big pork fan. Growing up we didn't eat it and I never really thought too much about it. Now that we eat clean I am constantly on the lookout for local grass-fed/pastured meat products.
 On my weekly trip to the farm stand on Sunday morning I was surprised to not only find Pastured Pork, but several different cuts. I ended up leaving with a bit of everything (except the sausage because I was unsure what was added) and a determination to find ways to enjoy it. So with my Pork Belly brining in the fridge for a couple days (I will share my experience making bacon later) I set out to conquer some Pork Steaks.
I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome! These turned out great and I will be picking up some more of this cut when I got to the farms stand this Sunday. I hope you enjoy!

Smokey Mustard Pork Steaks with Mushrooms
1.5lb Pork Steaks (I had 2- .75lb steaks)
2 Tbsp Onion Powder
1 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tbsp Mustard Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
4 oz White Mushrooms
1/2Tbsp+3 Tbsp Grass Fed Butter
1 C Chicken Stock or White Wine


In a small bowl, combine onion powder, paprika, mustard powder and salt.
Liberally sprinkle the seasoning on both sides of the pork steaks.
Heat 1/2 Tbsp butter in a large cast iron skillet.
When the skillet is very hot, sear the pork steaks for 3 minutes on the first side and 2 minutes on the second side.
You may need to do this in 2 batches so as not to overcrowd the pan and decrease the temperature.
 While the steaks are cooking wash and slice the mushrooms.

After the pork steaks are seared on both sides, removed them both from the skillet and add remaining butter to the pan.
 Once melted add chopped mushrooms and allow them to fry for 3-5 minutes when the pan begins to look dry.

Add in chicken stock or white wine and scrape the bottom of the skillet with a spatula to make sure all the yummy bits from the bottom come off.
 Add pork steaks back into the pan and nest it down into the sauce.
Turn down the heat to medium and cook for an additional 7-10 minutes (depends on the thickness) or to your desired degree of done (145 degree internal temperature is safe to consume, which can still be a bit pink). The sauce will be nicely reduced. Plate and enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. LOVE the blog..I've tried several recipes and have been helped out of a rut because of them! I would LOVE to know how you make your own yogurt, if you ever want to share :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly! I love being able to help out others in my same situation! I did a post about yogurt making a while back, here it is! Hope that helps you! http://paleoonmain.blogspot.com/2011/06/yogurt-making.html

      Delete