Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Apple Pie Balls

So, I've heard review after review after review about LaraBar, but it took me until yesterday to actually try one. Generally, grocery shopping for me involves a 3 year old and a 1 year old, so I get in and out in as little time as possible. I buy the majority of my baking goods from Amazon, so I don't have reasons to venture down the aisles very often.
Yesterday I had a doctors appointment, so I was able to go into the commissary to shop all by myself afterwords. In my wandering, I came upon the bar aisle and thought about the LaraBar I have heard so much about. I purchased the two kinds they had, Apple Pie and Cherry Pie. While I enjoyed them both, the price excludes them from becoming part of my weekly grocery list. That being said, after sampling I quickly threw together these balls, and they have been a hit around our house.  If you like the Apple Pie LaraBar for an on the go snack you have got to try this recipe!


Apple Pie Ball
1 C Dried Figs
1 C Unsweetened Applesauce
1/2 tbsp Cinnamon
1/4 C Almond Flour
1 C Walnuts
1/2 C Almonds
1/4 C coconut flour

Coating
1/2 C Almonds
1/2 tbsp Cinnamon

In food processor, puree till smooth the figs, applesauce and Cinnamon.
Pour into a large bowl and stir in almond flour and coconut flour.
In the food processor, pulse walnuts and almonds to break them up. They should still have some coarseness to them. Stir them into the prepared batter.
Again in the food processor, pulse additional Almonds and Cinnamon till fairly fine to form a coating for the balls. Form batter into tbsp size balls and roll formed balls in prepared coating.
Refrigerate and enjoy!

1 comment: